Vietnamese Nuoc Mam Crispy Chicken Thighs with Egg Fried 5 Grain Rice 🍴
This is long but simple so I’m going to cut to the chase. You can use boned chicken if you want as long as there’s skin on it so it goes crispy. Nuoc Mam is a type of fish sauce but to be honest, if you can’t get it specifically just go with whatever fish sauce you can get. I used prepackaged microwaveable 5 grain rice on this occasion which is not a sin ok.
1. Marinade your chicken in fish sauce, garlic powder, pepper and salt for at least 20 minutes
2. Mince your garlic, de-seed your chillis and slice up all your veg
3. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees
4. Heat some oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry your chicken for 15 minutes until golden brown on all sides. Then transfer to an oven dish to continue cooking through for another 15-20 minutes
5. Remove any chicken stock from the pan and save in a cup to one side
6. Bring the heat of your pan down low and sweat your shallots for 3-4 minutes
7. With a pestle and mortar, or a blender, mash your chillis and garlic in to a paste
8. Add the brown sugar to the pan with the shallots and mix well, then add the chilli and garlic paste and finally another dash of fish sauce. Mix well
9. If you want a smoother or thinner consistency, add some of the chicken stock back in bit by bit until the sauce looks they way you’d like it to and turn the heat down. If you’ve added too much stock, turn the heat up and let it simmer off for a while
10. In another pan, heat some oil and fry your peppers on a high heat
11. Add the rice cold straight from the packet to the pan and fry. Add the Chinese 5 spice and soy sauce to the rice and stir.
12. Make a well in the middle of your rice and crack both your eggs in to the centre of the pan. Allow them to fry for 30 seconds and then with your spatula, break up the egg and mix it in with the rice. Turn down to a low heat
13. Remove your chicken from the oven and transfer back in to the pan with the sauce, mix until the chicken is coated