Slow cooker BBQ pulled pork This recipe uses pork shoulder which you’ll have t…
Slow cooker BBQ pulled pork
This recipe uses pork shoulder which you’ll have to ask your butcher for (a terrifying experience, I know) 2-2.5lbs should do for 2 people and up to 4lbs if there’s more. You can ask for it trimmed of excess fat but it’s up to you.
If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can also make this in a casserole dish or any dish that can go in an oven, covered on a low heat – 120 degrees or so
The longer you cook this for, the nicer it’ll be. You want low and slow. The best thing to do is lash it on in the morning and leave it on all day until dinner time
1. Combine the onion, ketchup, tomat purée, apple cider vinegar and spices in the slow cooker/dish
2. Season the pork heavily with salt and pepper
3. Put the pork in the slow cooker and cover in the tomato marinade – top up with ketchup if you need to depending on the size of your slow cooker and how much pork you’re using.
4. Turn your slow cooker on to either low for 8-10 hours or high for 5-6. If using an oven, best to go at 120 5-6 hours and then check. The meat should fall apart easily with a fork when cooked.
5. Remove pork from the slow cooker and transfer to a bowl. Shred with two forks and spoon juices from the slow cooker over it as needed