Second instalment of goes to the lidlireland app once again because greek yogurt is too good to pass on and I’ve made an entire meal out of it that just happens to be 100% Greek cuisine. Shock horror.
Chicken gyros cooked on a skewer with 2 ingredient homemade flatbread and tzatziki dip 🤸♀️
This is genuinely not as complicated as it sounds so don’t get spooked. You will need some sort of skewer for the chicken that will fit standing upright in your oven – wooden is ideal cause you can chop it to fit but metal works too.
1. Lay the chicken thighs on a board and bash them with a rolling pin or a meat hammer to thin them out
2. Marinade the chicken in all the ingredients I listed above, except the onion, for a minimum of 2 hours in the fridge but if you can leave it over night you’ll be laughing
3. Preheat your oven to 200. Peel your onion and slice in half. Lay the onion on whatever baking dish you’re going to use, wide side down, and push your skewer through the middle of it until it’s standing securely upright. If you want to use both onion halves on top of each other for stability, do. You need a big onion here to form a wide base and make sure your skewer can stand without hitting the roof of your oven
4. Take your cucumber and grate it over a few sheets of kitchen paper or a cloth to catch all the moisture. Leave to stand so as much moisture as possible is removed from the grated cucumber. Squeeze it out with your hands if you want
5. Combine the tzatziki ingredients together in a bowl and leave in the fridge
6. Slice each chicken thigh in half and start to skewer them individually piling up on top of eachother to make a stack. Reposition each one at a different angle so they’re all rotated in a different way
7. Bake in the oven for 1.5-2 hours
8. If you’re making a few chips for your gyros, as is traditional, slice up your potatoes, season and bake in the oven for an hour or so
9. For the super easy flatbread, mix the yogurt and flour in a bowl to make a smooth dough and leave to rest at room temp for 20 minutes
10. Divide the dough in to 4 and roll into 4 balls
⬇️ continued in comments ⬇️