Halloumi and Portobello Mushroom with caramelised red onion for I first ate …
Halloumi and Portobello Mushroom 🍔 with caramelised red onion for
I first ate a version of this in nandosuk when I was vegetarian . It was DIVINE – and then they axed it. It is still to this day one of the best burgers I have ever had and it’s the perfect option
1. Heat some olive oil in a pan over low heat
2. Wipe your mushrooms clean and de-stem them (remove the big stalk from the middle). Season them with salt, pepper a drizzle of oil and some garlic like you would a normal beef burger
(You can also get creative here with some soy sauce and balsamic vinegar but for the purpose of keeping this handy I’ll save it for another day)
4. Caramelise your red onion (I’m about to do a whole post on caramelisation – coming up next)
5. Place the mushroom, cap down, on the pan and fry slowly, turning midway through until the mushroom softens and browns
(You can also grill them or cook them in the oven if you’d prefer)
Remove from heat and place on a sheet of kitchen roll to absorb any extra juices. This stops your mushrooms from sliding in to next week when you’re trying to eat it later.
6. Wipe excess juice from your pan with kitchen roll if you hate the environment or a cloth. Slice your halloumi and fry on the same pan on a low heat until golden on each side. Remove from heat.
7. Place your burger bun halves face down on the pan and lightly toast
8. Assemble your burger as you wish and enjoyyyy
Some other ideas here would be some roasted red pepper on top/tomato relish/the full trimmings with an onion ring OR if you’re mad hungry you could double the portobello mushrooms and melt some cheese before sandwiching the two mushrooms together. I will definitely do another post on those ideas that I’ve literally just come up with.
My next post will go through caramelisation and how to nail the onions here so keep an eye out for that 🤸♀️