Crispy Salt and Chilli Chinese Turkey Nuggets with Chips for your 🌶
Before anyone decides to pipe up over the MSG in this recipe let me make a few points
1. MSG is what makes your takeaway taste like a takeaway ie. good
2. MSG is a salt and like any salt, should be consumed in moderation
3. I’m not asking you to snort it or rub it in your eyes, feel free to leave it out if you want
👩🍳 I’ve chosen to oven cook everything here for the sake of my health and to save on the washing up but you can shallow or deep fry the nuggets and chips if you want just like in my honey sesame chicken post last week
1. Season your turkey mince with salt, pepper and Chinese 5 spice before forming it in to nugget shapes and coating in cornflour
2. Mix 250ml of water, 250g of flour, one egg and all the spices and seasonings together to make a batter. Dip each nugget in to the batter and then lay them out on a baking sheet or a shallow oven dish. Put them in the freezer to rest.
3. Chop your potato in to chips and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Coat in oil and season as you want before transferring them to an oven dish and cooking at 180 degrees (incoming post on the perfect chips over the next few weeks)
4. Take the nuggets out of the freezer and put them in the oven for 20 minutes
5. Dice your onion and chilli and fry in a pan with oil until they’ve softened. Add the garlic, ginger, Chinese 5 spice and mix. Stir in 3 tbsp of soy sauce and 2 tsps of MSG.
6. When the nuggets come out of the oven, mix them in to the pan with the onions and chillis and leave on a low heat.
7. Turn your oven up to 220 for another 5 minutes to really crisp your chips (keep an eye so they don’t burn)
8. Serve altogether