Carbonara Verde The classic pasta dish with a few additions for when you happe…
The classic pasta dish with a few additions for when you happen to be just shy of your 5 a day.
👩🍳 you can sub pretty much any of the ingredients here to fit what you already have or something you’d prefer. Any pasta/bacon/veg/cheese will do the job here – do not stress
1. Heat a pan with olive oil on verrrrrry low heat and fry all your bacon, starting with streaky and then adding lean. You want the heat low so all the bacon fat sweats out. Crack some black pepper in too.
2. Boil your kettle, then half fill a saucepan with that boiling water and your chosen pasta in it & a decent amount of salt in the water as it boils.
3. Separate your eggs. So you need two whole eggs + an extra two eggs yolks. The spare egg whites will keep in the fridge for up to a week – don’t waste them!
4. Whisk the whole eggs and egg yolks together and add in some minced garlic, a lot of black pepper and as much grated Parmesan as you’d like. You should be able to see the cheese and the black pepper even when it’s all whisked together.
5. Back to your pan of bacon, throw in some sliced mushrooms and spinach and fry off until the spinach has wilted. 3-5 minutes.
6. When your pasta is cooked, strain it over a bowl, making sure to catch all that good pasta water that it’s just been cooked in.
7. Toss your pasta in to your pan with the bacon and veg. Mix together consistently making sure nothing is burning or sticking.
8. Add 3 tbsp of the pasta water to the pan and continuously mix. It should all start to come together and the bacon fat and starchy water should emulsify ( make a nice shiny sauce)
9. Take the pan off the heat and slowly, while constantly stirring, pour in your egg&cheese sauce bit by bit. If you over stir here on a high heat, you’ll see the eggs start to scramble. If this happens, don’t stress, just add a tbsp of the pasta water and keep stirring slowly.
10. The heat from the pasta and pan should be enough to cook the egg&cheese. Continue mixin until you get that gorge glossy carbonara sauce