Black Pudding & Sausage Rolls
The ultimate comfort food is actually almost easier to make than it is to go down to the deli and get 50 of them for €5, especially when using pre-rolled puff pastry which is completely acceptable and necessary. You can use whole grain or smooth mustard here, it doesn’t matter really – or you could use a relish to change it up.
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees (or as instructed on the pastry you’ve bought)
2. Allow your pastry to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes or so
3. Crack an egg and whisk it
4. Break up the black pudding in to pieces and combine in a bowl with the sausage meat
5. Roll your pastry out and slice it width ways to make 3 thick rectangles
6. Divide your sausage mix in to 3 and roll them out in to 3 sausage shapes, roughly the same length as each pastry rectangle
7. With a knife, put a small layer of mustard on to the pastry rectangles. Then place the long sausages on the right half of each rectangle. Adjust the sausage length if needs be.
8. Fold the left side of the pastry rectangle over to the right, encasing the sausage meat and with a fork, push down the two edges together to seal.
9. Brush the top of the pastry with your whisked egg to glaze it
10. Make small, diagonal slices along the pastry and cut the sausage rolls in to your desired size
11. Cook in the over for 20-25 minutes